From the Archives: A Real Pilot Story, Breaking an Airplane

Hello Community,
As seen from the title, this a real life story brought to by me that happened to me today.

Today, January 25th,2019, started off like any flight I would ever take. I got to the airport to preflight N5194F, the airplane that I have almost 200 hours in flying. I get to the airport 20 minutes before the scheduled departure time to look over her and make she it was running right. I started the airplane and taxied to runway 19 for my runup. During the runup, there was a bit of carbon buildup on the right magneto and i cleaned it out. After cleaning it out, the rest of the airplane was fine.

I taxied to the hold short line for runway and announced i was departing 19 remaining in the pattern for searcy, After takeoff, we got a good climb rate of 1000 feet per minute and by the end of the 60008 foot runway, I was at pattern altitude of 1,100 feet. About roughly mid-field left downwind, everything went bad. All of a sudden i heard the engine cough, there was a bang and a popping noise and the engine died for a split second than regained its power, After that I turned the airplane towards the runway, left my self high and with plenty of airspeed so if the engine quit, I could make the runway no problem. The landing was unevent full and the mechanic is looking at the airplane.

15 Likes

Dang. Glad you made it back safe bro! I didn’t even know about this!

3 Likes

Wow. Glad it worked out well. Stay safe.

Glad you are safe after that.

2 Likes

Damn, glad you’re ok. Any news on what caused it?

2 Likes

Glad you made it back safe. Hope you are doing ok.

2 Likes

Glad it worked well and you made it!!

Mechanic did a check of everything, said everything performed fine. Nothing wrong with the engine, he said it could have been some carbon or water in the engine or fuel lines

5 Likes

Congrats for keeping calm and rational. Well done buddy. Did you inspect a fuel sample from the tanks during the pre-flight check?

1 Like

All the preflight checks checked out all normal.

2 Likes

All good. Anyway no big deal in making an emergency landing on a 60008 long runway! just kidding lol

1 Like

Lol. Was with my mom and decided well I’m not sure what that was so landed and asked the AP

3 Likes

Wow, great job. What aircraft where you piloting

It was a Cessna 172 skyhawk

4 Likes

Ohh I though it was a big boi like a A320

Nope. I don’t fly those just yet.

4 Likes

You will eventually, what airline u aiming for

1 Like

An AA regional than fedex

1 Like