London Gatwick Closed: Drone Issue

Looks like hundreds of flights are either grounded/diverting due to an ongoing drone issue at London Gatwick. Almost 100,000 passengers have been affected due to flights not taking off or landing.
Airport has been closed since 21:00 GMT yesterday when the first drones had been spotted.
Police have said they will not shoot down the drones as it will cause a risk of stray bullets. They are currently searching for the drone operator. The airport has been closed for 17 hours and counting. It seems like airlines have been advised to cancel flights until 16:00 GMT, however everytime I look at these estimates, they seem to be increasing by one hour each time.

What’s your thoughts on this?

12 Likes

It’s crazy

Only problem is its hard to find the operator, they can be miles away…

3 Likes

Yep. And when they find them they are looking at 5 years in prison apparently.

2 Likes

Thats a lot, but well deserved. They have caused millions of pounds in losses and expenses for police and airlines and many others…

4 Likes

Update: Airport is now closed until 19:00 GMT (which will probably change again). Army have been brought in to assist.

2 Likes

Why would flying a drone near an airport be a good idea? They should realize that if an aircraft hit it, it will cause big problems and the fixing price isn’t cheap. If they really want to spot the planes, buy a camera and go near the airport. I find these drone increasing.

Isn’t it possible to put a jammer or something for these things?

2 Likes

Drone sales have apparently gone up by A LOT
So this might not be a peaceful war :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

All airports have a system that can link a drone to its operator. The drone has to be up in the air though for it to work.

Balloon events now are getting these.

2 Likes

This is an intentional interference to Gatwick. Are you refering to drones in general?

1 Like

They need to make regulations where you have to be qualified and licensed to fly into airport, instead of people just doing it, which is illegal.

1 Like

Drones near the airport are very risky of course…I understand their concern on shooting down the drone as the debris will spread…but I believe they can use helicopters to hunt it down like they used to do in Dubai…they used to deploy net directly on top of it and the blades used to get trapped and the drone would fall.17 hrs delay is a massive one with cancellation and closure.

2 Likes

I probably think you mean in

TS1 & CAUSAL

:wink:

1 Like

…

2 Likes

And this is why all countries need to have drone regulations and require drone “pilots”
to have a license

1 Like

Airport still remains closed and will be closed overnight. After 24 hours of the initial sighting… another drone has been spotted within the past hour.

1 Like

It’s not an active airport so technically people are allowed to fly there drones right now… :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

It was closed, because of drones :man_shrugging:t3:

It’s been 30 hrs since last commercial pax plane landed…flightradar24free

5 Likes

This is a wake up call! What if those drones were carrying dangerous things!!

2 Likes

Exactly, something could’ve easily happened. Looks like more tighter drone laws are needed.

Looks like the airport has opened again now. Wonder if the drones will make another appearance?

2 Likes