Loosing points in higher elevation airports

Hello IF PAX community:

I am not sure if this has been posted before but recently I have been flying in the higher elevation airports with IF PAX and have noticed an issue… In the higher terrains, you loose points even if you are at 14,000 feet. In that case, it is going based off of AGL or Above Ground Level, but nobody pays attention to AGL IRL regarding when to put out flaps and gear. It is all based on speeds and checklists.

Photos to prove:
PNG PNG

Hello!

This was recently changed to AGL (Above Ground Level) from MSL (Mean Sea Level).

I’ve had this happen to me personally as well, so will bring it up with the rest of team and gather the others thoughts on this.

3 Likes

Awesome. It’s just not super realistic at all and it kinda puts me out of the mood for a little bit to fly since this would not happen irl.

-Aviator_Ryan

3 Likes

Yeah, personally I understand. I have just sent a message to the rest of the team to gather their thoughts on it.

Will keep you updated!

2 Likes

You can see more details here:

3 Likes

I did give my views there…

4 Likes

Could I ask what areas you where flying in? Or Airports.

4 Likes

Not sure about @aviator_ryan but I have been flying in MMMX, NZQN and KDEN just to name a few.

4 Likes

Aspen-Pitkin (KASE) and Eagle Regional (KEGE)

5 Likes

I actually noticed this as well just yesterday in the Aspen area. I preferred it when it was just MSL. Plus, as you mention…

3 Likes

It makes it very challenging to run IF PAX when this happens because then you have to slow and drop gear at unrealistic altitudes. Hopefully this will be fixed soon! Anyways, it is still a fantastic app.

1 Like

Maybe the best of both worlds is to just add a setting to the flight settings screen allowing you to choose msl or AGL. Default being MSL. Because i know if i change to MSL ill get a flood of complaints from the other camp

4 Likes

Yeah, that would be a good idea, if that would be able to be integrated into the app.

4 Likes

I am going to use my real world knowledge here so pardon me:

How would AGL ever be used in this situation? Everyone I have seen wants it to be in MSL as that is more realistic then AGL. The altimeters show MSL and depending on how you have your flight bar set up at the bottom of the screen on IF, not alot of people use AGL. AGL is used in shooting approaches and that is pretty much the only time I can see fit!

With that, great work on the app.

-Aviator_Ryan

1 Like

Majority of time MSL is used. What would you do at say ZUBD (elevation 14k feet)??

In IF_PAX using msl in that scenario would not work. If you’re not sure please try a flight there. or at any of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_airports

4 Likes

The thing is, IF PAX docs you points if you dont have gear, flaps, etc out by a certain time. In real’s life, that is not even legit. Flaps and gear etc are all dependent on speed/weight/wind and many other factors. In most of the world, there usually is not a speed limit above 10,000 feet except for aircraft limitations. If I was flying VFR through the valleys of CO at 200 knots at 17,500 feet MSL but only 1,000 feet AGL, I would loose points for “speeding” and for not having gear and flaps down… even though I would not need them.

1 Like

Yeah i understand and i think we’re saying the same… that it SHOULD MSL as default.

but some people will need to select AGL if they want the same experience but fly and those high altitude airports

3 Likes

If there was an option to switch between both, i do think you might need a little info box to help people understand the benifits of each.

1 Like

Agreed that makes sense.

4 Likes

Why would anyone want to use AGL? Just wondering. I love the app and just want to make it that more realistic.

1 Like