Newark Airport closed due to drones

Newark was closed briefly at 5pm local yesterday due to two drone sighting for within runway 22R approach path. It was closed for around 45 minutes. This caused delays of up to 30 minutes whilst flights were grounded. This comes weeks after the drone sightings at London Gatwick and Heathrow.

9 Likes

Why would anyone think of flying a drone that close to an airport! Too much potential for danger with a few airports in that area. Honestly, they need to do more.

4 Likes

Ban drones… or make licenses

3 Likes

I agree on the ban of drones. Some have good uses though for aerial photography etc. Licences would be good because would probably be prosecuted and banned from purchasing drones if they go above limits.

2 Likes

Yes, sone people deserve drones because of hobbies etc. but it needs to more tightly regulated who can buy and use one…

1 Like

Not again! Tighter control is needed ASAP. Of course government shutdown and all.

3 Likes

People never learn do they!!

1 Like

I know it sounds a bit extreme but I do agree that a ban could work.

I’m traveling to Barbados this summer, and they have put a total ban on drones entering the country. So, I filled out a permit application and sent it in. I haven’t heard back yet, but in my opinion this separates serious and safe users from others, and allows them to get data on when, where, and how you will be using your drone.

4 Likes

Wait what not again…oh no looks like soon Drones are going to be banned actually my friend does use it but prior to that we take permission from the local airport authorities and fill in the necessary declaration details.
Just because of a few , whose sole purpose is to disturb traffic flow

3 Likes

First Gatwick, now Newark. You’d think people would know not to fly drones near airports.

1 Like

We need tighter restrictions.

Commercial Use Only And Tracking Requirement (similar to ADSB)

1 Like

I think that’s a bit extreme, then someone who just wants a drone to fly around and take pictures wouldn’t be able to then. I think we need it so drones just stop flying if you try and fly near an airport or something, or come back to their original location or something.

3 Likes

Yeah well like for photographyas well but they need liscenses and to be trackable.

2 Likes

Exactly, that’s pretty much what I think. You said that they need to be commercial only.

4 Likes

I meant commerical and photography etc but not just for fun and games but obviously hobbyists can get a liscence.

And this is why ANYone operating a drone should be licensed by the FAA

4 Likes

I 100% agree with you

1 Like

We are licensed by the CAA (over here)…
Moreover in the drone a tracker is fitted on to it by the CAA and you know during times like this tracker comes useful.

2 Likes

Awesome. I wish the FAA would make ALL drone operators required to have a license. I recently got my drone license from the FAA and was the best money I spent

4 Likes

They could buy them off someone with a license

1 Like